Thursday, October 12, 2006

Awesome

Alaina,

Tonight, we celebrated your 5th birthday with the 5 of us, plus Mimi, Dad-Dad, both the "new" Uncle Chris and the "old" Uncle Chris, Aunt Brooke, Aunt "Laney" and Isabel. You were thrilled to be the center of attention . . .as you always are. We got a giggle out of the fact that you wanted to celebrate your birthday at IHOP! tehehe . . . I know that some kids pick out McDonalds, Burger King, etc, but we've always "trained" you 3 to like the "good" restaurants for birthday meals. I guess that IHOP fits the bill . .they seat you, take your order, bring you food, and then you tip them. You had a ball.

When you started opening gifts, you labelled the iPod shuffle as "awesome!" A little giggle went around the table. Then you opened up Bitty Baby clothes, a movie, a iPod gift card. . . and they were all "Awesome!" too. We got such a laugh out of that word coming out of your mouth. Just not something you think of hearing from a 5 year old. As odd as it is to hear from you, it is the perfect way to describe the past year.

You are so awesome in . . .

. . . the way you giggle when someone even wiggles their fingers like they're going to tickle you.

. . . the way you jump into a pool without a worry (not always so awesome for Mom!)

. . .all the hugs and kisses you give me.

. . .all the little performances you do. It's no surprise to see you dancing down an aisle, or (as Aunt Brooke and Mimi discovered on a recent shopping trip with you) singing "We're all in this together" at the top of your lungs while shopping at Target.

. . .the way you love learning. Man, this homeschooling thing SOOOOO wouldn't work without you cracking the whip!

. . . the way you view hand-me-downs as "new". Doesn't bother you that they're "Allison's clothes" (you love her so much, you wish you could wear ALL her clothes). I know the day will come that you'll no longer see things this way, but I love that you take something most kids don't want and find joy in them.

. . . the way you paint your "abstract" art, then give it a name like "The Long Room".

. . . the way you go after that soccer ball and do what it takes to get it down to the goal.

. . . the way you "get it" when I have one of those headache days and you lay gently down with me.

. . . the way you cuddle with me every morning.

. . . the way you jump and bounce and move around . . .even after a full soccer game, or over 2 hours of dance class. That energy is AMAZING!

. . . the way you love your big brother and sister. You annoy them at times. . . you follow them around, order whatever food they order, and beg to be noticed, but your love for them is so genuine.

. . . the way you know what you like. . . whether it's giraffes (most definitely love 'em!), yellow (love it!),Backyardigans (love!), Miss Spider (hate), Dora (hate), milk (hate it), pasta (love), go tarts (love), OJ (love, love, love!), avocadoes (hate!), spinach (love!). . .

. . . the way you interact with friends.

. . . your love for life.

Last year, you told me you were Ready for Action. And action is what you gave us! We didn't always ENJOY the action, but we sure had a lot of it! You have stretched me as a mother in a way different from Ian and Allison. You've caused me to look at things in a different way. No longer do I misunderstand the mother that just can't seem to "control" her child (okay, maybe not completely on that one . . .I did wonder today why this woman let her 3 year old run off at the movie theater while she just mosey-ed along). No longer do I have the misconception that the things that work with Ian and Allison will work with you. No longer do I wonder how you'll get along with others (will you push their buttons like you push Ian and Allison's buttons?)

I looked down at you tonight, and was amazed at how much you've grown, how much you've changed, how much you've accomplished. And I can see how far we've traveled to get here. I can shut my eyes and can still see the newborn you were 5 years ago. . . and the teeny, tiny 1 year old you were. And then those feelings come back. Those feelings of worry, of pain, being scared. . . that something was so wrong with you. I'd not worried about your weight until the doctors started worrying and running every test on you. Thank goodness they correctly diagnosed you . . .as a kid with so much energy and action, that you just worked all those calories off! I can shut my eyes and be taken back to just one year ago . . . when we sat at Olive Garden with the same people we sat with tonight and you laughed and clapped with glee whenever you opened a gift.

In a way, I'm sad . . .so very sad. I will never again have a 4 year old. Even though you're pushing your agenda of having a little sister (you'll teach her EVERYTHING!) or a little brother (you'll teach him how to stand and walk, then Ian will have to take over!), in reality, this will never be. And so I'm sad. . . sad that the 4's are over for you. But I have to keep in mind that 5 is going to be such a terrific year for you. You'll learn so much, you'll tie your own shoes (well, hopefully!), you'll write your first sentence and do some "serious" math. You will start kindergarten (boo-hoo . . .don't even want to go there at this point!), make new friends, become a Daisy Scout, and maybe even lose a tooth.

And through it all, I plan to take each day with you and tuck it away in my heart. . . to be remembered when you are no longer 5.

Alaina, I love you. I pray for you. I desire all that is good and healthy and happy in your life. My birthday wish for you is that you live every day to the fullest. That you make this such a terrific year and do so many terrific things that you can't help but remember it when you're older.


Alaina, my baby, I love you.

1 comment:

scrappinmia said...

I love reading your birthday letters to your kids. You should be a writer. Seriously!
Happy 5 Alaina.

Cindy