Friday, June 13, 2008

Birthday Letter to Ian


Ian,

Today, you turned twelve. It's so amazing to me that we're entering your last year of non-teenagehood. Wow. You've grown so much this past year -- emotionally, educationally, physically. It won't be long now before you're taller than I am. EEK! I think there will always be a part of me that longs for just a few more moments with the Ian I used to know . . . the first days with newborn Ian, toddler Ian, pre-K Ian. Oh the list goes on. I can honestly say there hasn't been an age you've been that I haven't enjoyed. I know that you'll be starting in on those teenage attitudes soon -- we see glimpses of them occasionally already. You promise me you're going to try and not be a "typical teenager", but I know it's coming! I just hope and pray for you that you make it through the next 6 years safely and growing into the man God wants so completely for you to be.

Last year on this date, I expressed concern over the beginning of your middle school years (see this post). Those people who've gone before you have often said that they'd love to go back to just about any age other than those 3 middle school years! You seemed to handle this new adventure so well. I heard stories from other moms about how their sons cried daily for the first couple weeks at school. None of that from you -- you seemed to have no problem with the lockers, finding classes, the daily homework. The biggest concern you expressed was the fear of not getting to PE on time because you had 4 minutes to cross the school twice (once to take books to your locker, and then back across the school to get to the dressing room -- apparently middle school PE lockers are no longer like they used to be when I was in school -- no room for books in the locker!). This year's been a learning experience for the both of us -- I'm having to learn to scale back on the "being in your business" educationally and you're learning all that new stuff! You were NOT happy with me when I suggested studying -- for tests, exams, etc. We came to the agreement that as long as you came out of the test with an A, I wouldn't question how much you studied. Seemed to work for you -- one of only about 18 kids in the whole 6th grade class to make all A's in every class for the entire year! However, we did earn the right to have some say over projects when you made less than an A on one of those (and had refused our suggestions). We are definitely SO PROUD of your academic accomplishments this year. You were recently invited to be part of Junior National Young Leaders Conference by one of your teachers. Quite the honor! We're still trying to figure out how we can financially make that happen for you. You've expressed the interest in visiting DC for several years now. This isn't the way we planned for it to happen, but you'd certainly have opportunities to do things, meet people, and go places that we would not be able to do on a family vacation there.

I was worried about you making new friends. Once again -- shouldn't have been. You came home talking about kids we've never heard of before. You won tickets to the Texas Tornado game and took 2 boys with you we'd never met. You're definitely doing better on the making new friends thing than I thought you would.

You took up 2 new hobbies -- the baritone in the band and golf. You've enjoyed learning both these things and are doing well. We found out in the last couple of weeks that you will be playing in the symphonic band next year -- quite the feat for a kid with 1 year's experience. And the golf is coming right along. . . it is interesting to watch you analyze where you should hit the ball, etc.

You made the decision to be baptized back in February. We are so proud of your decision and how much you yearn to know God better. We feel so blessed to have a son who cares so much about learning more and cultivating his relationship with Jesus.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. For you to suddenly turn all teenagerish on us. I hope that we're doing enough in these last few months to once again reinforce how much we love you and that we'll be here for you no matter what. I pray for you to find your way through these next few years with dignity and feeling proud of yourself. . . knowing that the mistakes you've made were just that -- mistakes. Not something that you need to beat yourself up about or continue to dwell on, but something that because it's happened, you've learned something. Something about life, about yourself, about respecting others, about depending on God. That's my desire, my wish for you. . . to be good to yourself in these next few years, and to learn to live life.

Ian, daily you give me reasons that remind me why I'm so proud of you. You show a tenderness for your sisters that is so special to me, you enjoy being around little kids and entertaining them, you are becoming so responsible, and well . . . you're just you. Which will always make me proud of you. I love you. And while I so miss the Ian you once were, I'm enjoying the Ian you now are, and I can't wait to meet the Ian you will one day become. Know that I wish for you so many wonderful things in life. And that I love you. Forever.

Love, Mom

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Heather- you write the sweetest notes to your kids. They are so blessed to have such a great mother who cares for them in extraordinary ways. They are learning two of life's most important things from you: faith and love.