Friday, July 01, 2005

"Hey Mom! Meet Six!"



My Sweet Allison,

What an amazing journey this past six years has been. You were the "baby sider" that Ian insisted he was going to have, and we've so loved having you as a part of our family. We've watched you blossom and grow into such a precious young girl. You are so sweet, kind, and tenderhearted. You are the one who wants to come and take care of Mommy when she's got her awful headaches and sing them away with a quiet song. You're still the little snugglebug. . . just like you were from the day you were born. We thought you might be our 4th of July firecracker, but were terrified you might be as big as Ian, or bigger, so induced you 3 days before your 4th of July due date. But somehow you must know . . . you think the 4th is all about your birthday!

I loved having Ian, and was so happy to be his mom. . . and would've loved another boy, but my heart yearned for a daughter. God blessed me with you. God blessed me with a way to quit my job as a high school teacher and finally become a fulltime mom to both of you and how lucky I have been to watch you grow and learn.

I know it's hard to be the middle kid sometimes. . . remember Mommy was one too. But most of the time, you handle it so well. And I hope that on those days, when you get lost in that middle child shuffle, you'll come and tug on my arm and ask me for another "pocketful of kisses".

You've grown so much over this last year. You went off to kindergarten. For about the first 3-4 weeks, I drove by at recess time to make sure you were okay on the playground. You kept talking about being alone, and that made my heart sad. But then I'd drive by, and I'd see you there on that swing. . .swinging higher and higher and higher and I knew you were okay. You were thrilled that you'd picked up that skill about 2 weeks before school started. And your teacher assured me you were okay . . .you were making friends. And you did. Mostly with boys. Shhhh . . .. again like your mother!

This week has been a big week for you. You had swim lessons. This isn't by far the best picture of you, but the one most representative of your week of lessons. . . holding your breath, tentative of what's coming next, with those darned goggles that just kept slipping down past your ears. You were still terrified of jumping in from the side of the pool, and still terrified that Mrs. P. would let go of you while you were floating, but thrilled that you swam through her hula hoop! We've signed you up for another week, and you don't seem to be upset about that! Then Wednesday, you lost your first tooth! Thank goodness, as the adult tooth is about a 1/4 of the way in behind it already. Yesterday, we squeezed in your party before swim lessons, then last night, you went to Build-A-Bear (and built a cat), then went and got your ears pierced! You were scared, and thank goodness they double shoot! You jabbered about what age you really were . . .were you older than "3 and 3-quarters?"

So, here we are at today . .. .July 1. You greeted me in the hall this morning with your thumb pointed towards your chest and said "Hey Mom! meet Six!" And so I did . . . with a small tear in the corner of my eye. . . inwardly waving goodbye to five. I grinned . . . .and I met Six.

Allie, my sweet girl . . . I love you!

Love, Mom

3 comments:

Jamie said...

That is too funny! Don't you love it when they say smart things like that! Definitely one for the scrapbook!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!! Six Rocks!!!

Anonymous said...

She's too cute! Happy belated Birthday, Allie!!