Alaina,
I remember so well the circumstances surrounding the week of your birth. After 2 "normal" pregnancies (for the most part), you were the challenge. I was sick at all times of day, instead of the morning thing I'd had with Ian and Allie. There was the scare at the beginning when we thought I was miscarrying you . . . .how wonderful it was to see that little bean with a beating heart on the screen that day. I'd wished for bedrest with the other 2. . .being pregnant and working just was so tiring. But no, I didn't get it until you. Only five days' worth, thankfully.
I'd lost a lot of my amniotic fluid with you. . . it just wasn't replenishing itself or something. And the dr. put me on bedrest, after doing a sono to check and make sure you were okay. So I went home to wait. Too many women already there prevented me from going in for an induction on Wednesday morning. Thursday, it was back to the doctor's office for another look at you. How awesome it is to have that sonogram picture of you in the womb just 12-15 hours before you were born! I did some last minute shopping with Mom, as the dr. decided to put me in the hospital that night. I knew what I was feeling was contractions. . . very far apart contractions (about 20 minutes apart). Wow, might I go into labor on my own?
We went to the hospital about 9 pm .. . but it wasn't until about 11 that I got settled in, and sure enough, those far apart twitches were contractions (never had those of their own accord before!). The plan was to prep me for labor that night, then use pitocin first thing in the morning.
Like would become the pattern for your life . . . you had your own plans. I wasn't in a bed for more than 4.5 hours before you made your entrance into this world. It seemed so different, so special from the other ones. No one was expecting a baby until sometime the next day, we were alone. . . .no one up at the hospital sitting in the family room waiting. It was just the 3 of us. . . you, me, and your dad. And I got to hold you and love on you for quite awhile before they took you to the nursery.
Alaina . . . you have had one huge personality from the very beginning. . . you knew all the buttons to push with Ian and Allie before you were a year old. Allie may be my July baby, but you're the firecracker! You have facial expressions that are just so funny to see on a child your age. And the wiggling of the eyebrows. And the fact that even before you were four, you had an evil laugh (muhahaha!) AND you used it at the appropriate times.
You are the ham, the outgoing one . . .and so smart. I'm so blessed that God gifted us with you. You know how to make me laugh, how to entertain with just your personality. We call that personality your "Piggie Personality". . . .not that you're a little pig, but because it's this attitude you have when you're wearing pigtails. Oh, a ball of fire!
You are the most stubborn of the 3 kids. I used to think Allie was, until you came along. That's not a bad thing. I hope and pray for you that that stubbornness will get you through the peer pressure of the teen years. But right now .. . it's a little frustrating. Like the whole red boots thing . . . .you're one little girl with a sassy 'tude. tehehe . . . where in the world can you wear red boots and pink flamingo clothes at the same time, unless you've got that sassiness in you!

Last night, I was so wanting to cuddle with you. It hit me, that you were no longer going to be my 3 year old, and you can't be considered a "baby" in any sense of the word. I was in your room and I said "Alaina, can I hold you? Just one more time as a 3 year old? This will be the last day you're ever 3 . . . ." She wiggled and squirmed and actually started licking my arms! Don't ask me why . . .it's just part of that sassiness of yours. "Alaina, I'm going to miss three so much!"
Her reply: "I'm not! I'm ready for action!"
Oh my . . .if 3 wasn't action, I'm almost scared to see 4!

Alaina. . . I love you so much, my little pumpkin head! I look forward to all the blessings (blessings right? Even with the action!) that will be coming your way this year. And feel so lucky that I'm along on this wonderfully spontaneous and entertaining ride with you.
Love,
Mommy
3 comments:
Pass the tissues! That was so touching and sweet... and I laughed along, recognizing that little pig-tailed firecracker in red boots!
Can you say tears? You are quite the writer! That was such a sweet letter. She will really cherish it one day.
Cindy
Time just seems to fly by! I know may will be here before we know it and I hate for them to get older!
Post a Comment