Saturday, July 01, 2006

A Year Has Gone by . . .

(** will add pictures soon**)

Allie,

In a blink of an eye, we said hello to six, and now we've said goodbye. I can't believe another year with you has passed. So many things have come and gone. I'd totally forgotten that just a year ago, you were asking for pocketfuls of kisses! I do remember the swimming relunctance . . .who could forget that? Ms. P was pleasantly surprised when she saw how well you were taking to the water during your lessons last week. She said "It's like she's a whole different kid." And in a lot of ways, I guess you are.

You've lost 5 teeth since your last birthday (Losing your first one the day before your 6th birthday).
You've read Junie B., Kit books, Little House, and many more . . . all on your own. You grasped the reading thing and you haven't let go.
You've become a HUGE horse fan (you were into them somewhat a year ago, but one summer project later and you're MAD about them!).
You learned (as we all did) about Horseshoe Crabs (because you chose to do them as they had the word "horse" in their name! And, by the way, I've told Ms. P that if Alaina is in looping, I want something easy . . . a dolphin or a seahorse or a clownfish!)
You've danced in your third recital .. . adding Jazz to ballet and tap.
You made some little girl friends (you had almost all boy friends in K).
You became a brownie, and have earned more patches than I would've ever imagined.
You've worked hard on your handwriting.
You learned "everything I needed to learn to go to 2nd grade".
You spoke about your hero, for a second year, at a school assembly.
You've gotten so much better at the room cleaning thing.
You ASK to do chores (I know this won't last long!).
Your temper fits have become less frequent.
You've laughed.
You've cried.
You've started to stand up for yourself.

You still want to help when I don't feel well . . .and you tell me "I wish there was no such thing as headaches!" Now, everytime I have one, you ask when I'm going to get braces! tehehe
You're still as sweet and loving and tender as you've always been. Characteristics I hope never change.

You're fiesty, and yet you so want to please. And in some ways you are so hesitant and unsure. And I wonder. . .wonder how to help you, how to guide you, and yes, I even wonder sometimes if I can mold you. I want to help you be this confident girl who understands how wonderful and smart and talented she is. I try to figure out how to boost you in that area and help you still remain that sweet, loving, tender girl you are.

I remember those last days of pregnancy with you . . .how miserable I was, how hot, and uncomfortable I was. Then those first few days of life for you. You were sweet and tender then too. I loved just holding you. . . and I loved that you wanted to be held. And that you still want to be held. I strive to hold all these things in my heart. . . all that you've done, all that you've been, and look forward to all that you are yet to be.

Allison, my sunshine, I love you. I love being your mom, I love watching you grow. And I loved saying hello to seven.

Loves and hugs and kisses,

Mommy

1 comment:

scrappinmia said...

sniffle, sniffle....
Heather, you are a talented writer! I've got to start the birthday note thing too. Your kids are lucky to know how much their loved!!