Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Warning: Rant Ahead . . . .

Okay, I don't know. . .I think it's the lack of sleep or something. I just gotta do it. So please excuse the following rant. Will be back to my more normal self by my next post. . .

I don't think I've ever talked to the TV as much as I did to Oprah last night when I watched her show from yesterday. For those of you who missed it, she taped from the Astrodome and had some of her cadre of stars visit and chatter about what they'd seen. The dr. . . . I don't know, maybe he did more than he appeared to, he did help a dehydrated baby, he fooled with someone's trach. . . he said "God Bless you" to several nearly dead people. But good grief he's an acting doctor. I'm hoping he did a lot more doctoring off screen than he did onscreen. Nate . . . he did take care of making sure some people didn't have to leave pets behind. . . I'm not a pet person, but Nate got me crying. Lisa Ling. . .I wanted to have a talk with her. She made the statement (paraphrased because I deleted the show and can't get an exact quote) "I just wonder if all of this would've happened if Katrina had hit an affluent white community." Face it. . . if it had hit an affluent community, there wouldn't have been so many people stranded there because they hadn't been BUSSED OUT BEFORE THE HURRICANE HIT! You can't compare what would've happened someplace where we could've all gotten in our cars and left to people who had no cars to leave in! Why Oprah didn't ask the Mayor when she had him why he didn't use those darned buses either before or as quickly as he could after the hurricane, I'm not sure.

Then, can't have an Oprah show without a reconciliation. Glad that family was reconciled . . .don't know why we had to do it on TV! And then that guy in the cowboy hat offered the house he had (an empty rental, I'm assuming) to that family for as long as they needed/wanted it. And there's Oprah, standing by, and in earlier spots telling people "You'll be okay, I KNOW you will." Why can she not do the same? Find a few houses in decent areas, buy 'em, and let families live there? We have regular people in the Dallas area donating homes. We have a family of 19 staying in one home in Frisco . . .well, unless they got to split into 2 homes. That was something that people at the school were going to work on. Once people in that neighborhood found out there were some Katrina victims living there, they brought over refridergerators, a washer/drier, a TV and DVD player with DVDs for the kids, food, clothes, basic necessities. . .. the kids are enrolled in school, the adults are working towards trying to find jobs. You can't tell me that's a better deal than staying in Reunion Arena. It's very difficult for the average joe to get in and do what they do best at the shelters. I applied to help at the Katrina shelter in our county and am still waiting to hear back. Get them out of the massive Shelter areas and into neighborhoods and it will be amazing what the American people, as their neighbors, can do.

Think if I wrote Oprah and asked her to buy some houses, she'd do it???? ROFL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

she bought all those cars! I don't see why not. Nate and the dog is when I lost it. I Tivo'd todays episode and will watch it again tonight after the kids go to bed. Thank you for putting into words what I couldn't... I'm pretty much speechless about the state of things.

Jamie said...

I have had to turn off the tv- I can't stand it anymore...the way they make it so difficult to volunteer. The abundant amount of clothing that "they" will no longer accept. There is someone out there that needs clothes! frustrating!

HOpe you feel better!