Saturday, December 03, 2005

Growing Up

Today seemed to be a day to remind me of all the ways I'm no longer (obviously) a child. Christmas is just so different as an adult. In that vein, i'll share Grown-up Christmas List with you today. It's sung by several different artists, but I just like the Amy Grant one best (I promise, this won't become an Amy festival!).

Andy asked me again for a Christmas list .. . I have absolutely no idea what to put on it! Mom and Dad are getting me a 50mm fixed lense. I like the sound of a macro lense, but I have no idea what I'd actually do with one! ROFL Just sounds cool. Hmmm . . . we need a new toaster and could use a new can opener, but what kind of Christmas list is that? I'll throw in a couple books, but there's no way I have the urges for enough for my mom, my sister, my brother and Andy and the kids to get me stuff from a list. Unlike Alaina's list. . . I wrote down TWO PAGES of ideas, and then just told her she'd completed her list. . .she would've gone on for days! And those pages don't include her American Girl wishlist. tehehe

Today's advent activity was putting up the Christmas tree. I remember always waiting anxiously for the day we could do that. Now I know how Dad must've felt about it. . . pulling out that box, trying to read all the numbers on the pieces to figure out what goes where. . . moving the furniture. It's just not much fun as an adult. . .except the joy you see the kids getting out of it. (in a side note, talking about trees and dad, I remember the flocked tree we had several years. . . I'm going to have to see if I can get slides/photos of that time!)



Then we took a look at some Christmas lights. .. not the big one that had a line waiting to see it. @@ . . . there's a guy that sends a weekly newsletter to people in Frisco, and he had that one on his list this week. The neighbor near us is STILL working on his display . ..it'll be breaking news when it's finally finished. In the meantime, another little nugget from his yard:



House of the day . . . this is one part of what I affectionally call the "Dueling Neighbors". Their places remind me of Tim Taylor trying to get in one last lighted piece because he thinks his neighbor is going to win the neighborhood contest! tehehehe The kids ooohed and aaahed over the houses. The more lights the better (yet another way I'm no longer a kid!).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, it warms my heart knowing that you are an Amy Grant fan. Christmas isn't Christmas without all three of her CD's in the car. I'm even bringing them to my mom's house with me so that we can listen to them on the drive from the big city to the coast (3 hours). Now, about being a grown up, you are right - not nearly as fun as being a kid. Grown up Christmases are just plain work. But your tree is looking GOOD and the kids look to be in the spirit of things. YAY for kids! Love the dueling neighbor lights. That made me laugh.