Okay, back to the holiday cheer. You know, back in the day . .. pre video/DVD, we only had that one chance a year to see our holiday favorites. Andy and I were talking about this with the kids a couple nights ago. That we'd look up in the TV Guide and find out what holiday special was on which nights. I remember wishing that they wouldn't show up on Wednesday night, as we'd be at church and miss them for that year. The kids were amazed by this fact (not sure why, since one of them thought I was alive during the Civil War! {snort})
So, this year, I decided 2 things. First, I was upgrading all those videos to new DVDs. And second, they didn't get to watch Rudolph until the special night on the advent calendar. Due to our lovely "winter mix"/sleet... . today became that day. They canceled church for tonight (man, I would've loved that as a child. . .if it came on a "special" night), so I postponed the Christmas book reading we were going to do tonight, and decided the time was right for Rudolph and popcorn. The kids were excited to finally be seeing it. And there are actually extras on this DVD. . . Destiny's Child singing Rudolph. Even their "claymation" (wasn't really clay, but kinda had that look) selves wore those short, short skirts! They also had that "Fame and Fortune" song that Rudolph and Hermey sing. I don't guess I ever realized that they replaced the Misfits song after 1 year with the Fame and Fortune song.
Then the kids loved seeing the original TV ad for it. It was neat to see. And Ian picked up on the fact that Christmas was celebrated on Sunday in 1964, just like it will be this year.
Hoping that Erin and I get to make our trek to see the lights tomorrow night. We'll have to see what the weather holds for us. Here is today's picture:

This picture reminds me of when I was growing up. One year, the next street over decided to do those poles with lights hanging down in all directions to make them look like a Christmas tree. There was someone Jewish on the street, and they did a star of David (don't even ask me how they accomplished that!). The whole thing is like a less elaborate version of the street in Christmas with the Kranks. tehehe
Christmas songs . . .. the band width is messed up on Santasearch.org, so I'm going to wait until it's back up to continue that.
Kids are hoping that it sleets enough that they can't go to school tomorrow. They don't get the ramifications of this . . . .losing a day at Easter. I'd much rather have the day in the spring, than a day to be stuck inside.
1 comment:
See... this is what I mean: you switched up the Advent Activities to fit into the schedule and to do a fun event - you really are the Mother of the Year. Fun stuff that Rudolph and Henry. I have not seen the movie in years. That's what happens when the kids go and get big on you - they no longer enjoy the "old fashion" movies, they want the new and hip movies like Christmas with the Kranks. Our Christmas tradition movies are A Christmas Story (John loves the BB gun part of this movie), and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Yep, every year we watch those movies on Christmas Eve.
Post a Comment