Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Chocolate Gravy

You wanna make me whirl back in time to my childhood in an instant? Say the words chocolate gravy. That was always one of the best parts of visiting my grandparents when I was growing up. I think all 10 of us grandchildren would agree. We were split off into 4 "sets" and we'd rotate between Nana and Papa's house, and the 2 aunts and uncles' houses that were there in town. And oh, on those mornings we were at Nana's .. . we KNEW we'd get chocolate gravy with our biscuits. Oh the feast she'd make for every meal . .. but breakfasts.. . . salavating just thinking about the chocolate gravy in that blue willow bowl.

Well, she knew she had 2 of us there that hadn't had chocolate gravy for a long time. Andy made breakfast -- biscuits, eggs, ham, bacon. But Nana added her own special touch: a big bowl of chocolate gravy. And I was transported in time 20 years. Mark and I were gracious enough to share it with everyone else. . .I gave Alaina a taste (she gave it a thumbs up!) and Allie (she liked the chocolate. .. but apparently not on the biscuit. . .too wierd for her, I guess).

We'd not met Mark's fiancee Anna before this visit. Guess she gets the kids' seals of approval. . .they wanted to entertain her all morning long. ROFL . . .after lunch she and Mark took off for the Walmart. . .I think they'd had enough kid interaction. tehehe But they both did great with them.

I snuck down the to scrapbook store in Conway . . .heard it was a good one. I *finally* found it. It was hidden on the backside of a consignment store on a street that probably only ran 2 blocks. I picked up some Wild Asparagus paper I'd been afraid to buy at Terri's . . .afraid it wouldn't make it through my 2 week trip, and I picked up some Prima flowers. I still love Terri's store way more. . .and not just because she's my Sisterchick!

My uncle Laurence brought me over some tomatoes to take home. . .like enought to feed a small country for a month! ROFL he told me to sell them to the family, but I'll be giving them away on the street corner to keep them from going bad. They are delicious homegrown Romas mostly. . . . yummy, yummy. I laughed so hard because he brought them over in a tomato box from the grocery store. I told him he didn't grow them, "Senor Robert" (whoever that is) did.

We went to dinner with just about all my Conway relatives. It was really good seeing everyone and catching up with them all.

No comments: