Monday, August 08, 2005

Happy Anniversary!

Although I keep trying to tell people 14 . . .it's been THIRTEEN years since we got married. Wow, we were young, and I was much skinnier (Andy only a little skinnier) then. We were still college students and boy those first couple of years were really hard.

This is the first year we've not been at home on our anniversary . .. it's odd, wierd. . . .

Andy brought me a dozen roses. Was sweet of him. I looked at him, thanked him and thought "Well, those will get forgotten when we pack up tomorrow." (and sure enough . .. they did)

We had several things to try and do while in Memphis. . . .

Go to Libertyland -- couldn't do it. They'd switched from being open every day to only on weekends on the 6th. :: sigh:: Ian wasn't happy. He was still irritated about not going to 6 Flags in Kentucky. . .never mind we have one at home!

The Pink Palace Museum . .. but the kids have museumed a lot.

We looked into the Children's museum, but it seemed like it would be a letdown after the one in Chicago (once again, Ian's not happy).

Andy had early said he wanted to do Barbeque in Memphis (didn't happen .. . and don't tell him we were right down the street from Corky's, world famous bbq .. . he knew it had to be good as there was a number that you could call and order it delivered to ANYWHERE).

Wasn't even going to go anywhere near Graceland. . .it was Elvis memorial week or some such thing. . . . the week leading up to the 15th (day he died) . . . .no way I was going near that madhouse!

We ended up going to the Memphis Zoo. Ian, 9 going on 13, was not pleased. And he let it be known . . .attitude and all. He wanted to . . . you got it. . . swim. We'd already told the kids we'd go to the zoo then come back and swim. We'd already had the conversation a million times that this was NOT a swim vacation. And I wanted to throw up my hands and proclaim it wasn't fair. . . I was supposed to have at least 3 more years before I had anyone in my house with a teenaged attitude! But I stayed calm and told him Dad and the girls were going to the zoo . . .we could go with them, or we could stay in the "room" (apartment, if you will) and wait for them to get back. I sent him off to think about it. About 5 minutes later, he came back with his decision. "I decided that *IF* this place has a reptile house, we can go." Like what, I'm going to run and build a reptile house??? I calmly reply that I don't make the decisions on what they have and can't find that out before we go. But can promise him that *IF* there is a reptile house, he can for sure go in it. He thinks it over. . .and mumbles okay. I tell him we're only going to do it if he's going to be happy about it.

And as usual, he loved it when he got there. They have pandas, one of the few places outside of China that they're on loan to right now. And they had Sea Lions who did a show. And there was a Chimp who'd had a baby 6 days before. . . .and she was cradling that little one, and there was another Chimp who was protecting them, trying not to let anyone even SEE them. And there was a Reptile house.

LeLe and YaYa the Pandas. And one of the Sea Lions showing off the he could walk on all fours, unlike a Seal. ROFL. Plus, the mama Chimp holding her baby. This one turned out foggy as they'd not cleaned the habitat since, at least, the baby was born.






We got back to the blessed Homewood Suites, went swimming, and then got the kids Chick-Fil-A for dinner. Got them in bed and got On the Border for ourselves for an anniversary meal. . .twice we got it. . . the first time they left all my fixins out for my fajitas.

Then we crawled into bed, ate mexican food, and watched Diary of a Mad, Black Woman on the hotel TV. Andy said it seemed wrong to watch it on on anniversary . . . but it was the only thing we could agree on . . .and it was funny, and sweet, and a little sad. . . and I got mad at her dh! ROFL

No comments: