Tuesday, August 23, 2005

What about those Walls?

Tehehe . . .Andy's figured this out. I get a project going, and I want to get it done. He's the opposite. . .took him a year to stain an entertainment center that was in our garage. He started tile floors in our kitchen and 2 upstairs bathrooms in early March . .. they're still not done (he's got the doorway transitions and a few spots where the grout needs to be patched). ::sigh:: DRIVES ME NUTS!

Now, I want to lay flooring and get paint on the walls.

I should probably mention that we painted every wall in this house except the master bed and bath (I couldn't decide on a color) in February/March. His parents came up for a couple weekends and did it all with him. I should also mention that everytime I pick up a paintbrush, I end up with a migraine . . no really, I'm not pretending! I'm not trying to get out of work. So all I'm helpful for is picking up colors and cleaning up the mess they leave in their wake.

We discovered this when I decided to do a little "While You Were Out" project when he went to DisneyWorld last January (yes, he went without us). His mom flew up and helped me and we (mostly she) painted this room (this photo doesn't even do it justice as to how dark the green was! . . and please ignore the toys. I realized I hadn't taken any "before" pics -- no I did not pic this color, we just never painted over it when we bought the house!, and snapped a couple . .. turned out fuzzy . . .pics before I got all the toys boxed up):



Didn't do such a great job on the color picking. I was looking for a lighter color. This room had been so dark for so long. Take a look at this picture. The top of the wall was the original color I picked out. . . we had to paint over it with the one I finally chose. Final color was 2 "steps" down on the paint chip. I was in a hurry to get this room painted because I had a roomful of furniture scheduled for delivery about 3 days after Andy got back from Disney . . . .and I didn't want to have to move it out of the room to paint it later.


Here's the final product. . . well, mostly final, without wall art, but with new walls and furniture:


You can see the corner of the dining room in the second picture. It's the other front room, and so I'd like the colors to blend, but don't know that I should necessarily go with the same color on the walls. All I know is I'm sick of builder's white. Which is what they painted the whole house when they painted in Feb/Mar because we thought we'd be moving this year. That's been postponed at least a year, probably more like 18-24 months. . . and by then, we'll probably have to repaint anyway. On top of that, surprise, surprise, the paint didn't go on real well. . gee, guess that's why it was CHEAP!

So now I'm trying to decide what to do with the downstairs. . .the 2 story entryway/hallway, the dining room that will now be the scrap studio, and the kitchen/nook/second living that's all 1 continuous space. I'm no darned good at interior design stuff. How many different colors on the walls are too many?

I was thinking about a sage-ish color for the dining room (Behr's Rejuvenate, Spring Hill or Mountain Haze. . . possibly . . .this is computer screen looking, not actual paint looking), then another color for the big, continuous space. . . I don't know. . . HELP!

No comments: