Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Museums, Part Deux

There you go, Miss Erin . .. French! I think the only word I know! ::wink::

Woke up with a full fledged migraine this morning and a full day planned. Took a Relpax, but knew I was going to need the 2-3 hours for it to take effect. Such is the life you live with this migraine thing. So we went to breakfast, then we came back and I slept for awhile while Andy kept the kids occupied in the living room. Slept until the maid came in to clean the room next door and turned on that radio. @@ Got up, grabbed the pain pills and hoped I wouldn't have to use them.

Back to the Museum Campus. . .by bus this time. There was no way I was walking today. Not with the ankle thing AND a migraine! We went to the Planetarium. Started with lunch, that's how late we got there. We did a star show. . .basic constellation one. There was one about the past and into the future, but I figured that was a bit advanced for a 4 and 6 year old. . .not to mention possibly the star-loving 9 year old, and there was one about wizardry. First of all, had no clue how that had anything to do with stars.. .and figured Ian would be the only kid (HP loving him) who'd like it.

Alaina hated the constellation show. She didn't like the machine that cast the stars on the domed ceiling, and she didn't like the man telling all about the stars. She covered her ears and whined. I was afraid he'd stop his speech and say "would the parent of the whiny child please leave now!" I rocked her back and forth until she ended up falling asleep. I feel asleep shortly after.

Lots and lots of little cards/signs to read and buttons to push, etc. Takes 3 times as long with 3 kids who want to do them all. And I was impatient that day and ready to move on.

We watertaxied it back to the Pier. The guy hawking tickets laughed that I walked no further than I had to and sent Andy on to buy tickets. I told him "I'm not used to this." He said "I know, it's hot." "I'm from Texas, heat isn't the issue." I replied. "Oh the humidity." The poor man was trying to understand me. . .but did he think it doesn't get humid here? ROFL "Not that either. It's this walking! Back home, we drive from door to door." He laughed and agreed. I'm sure he was thinking, "gee, if you weren't so darned fat lady . . ."

We went to the Children's Museum at the Pier. I'd had several online friends suggest it as a great place for the kids. . . and boy where they right. They LOVED it. Especially the waterworks area (where they could build dams and do all sorts of things playing with water) and the big backyard (they had the shadow screens that were so cool!).














We did another overpriced dinner on the pier. . . at Riva's Cafe. Kids were not impressed with the way they made Quesadillas. Who would've thought someone could mess up something so easy as cheese quesadillas!?!?!?! Then we walked around the mall area waiting on the nighttime cruise we had tickets for. . . bought fudge, gummy worms and turtles at a candy shop and some postcards at another place. I had the kids dictate postcards for both sets of grandparents to send before we left.

We did a fireworks cruise. .. they shoot fireworks every Wed and Sat. off a barge in the middle of the lake and our little boat "parked" within, I'd guess, about 200 yards of the barge. . .so close I *couldn't* use my 75-300 lens for fireworks pictures. It was lightly drizzling as we left the pier, but as we got out on the lake it was clear and a perfect night for a spectacular show. And the best fireworks pictures I've had so far.


We had a taxi ride back to the hotel from a weird, weird cabbie. . . I was in the back memorizing his cab # and the phone number to call and report him . . .he was WEIRD! ROFL. . .but all's well that ends well.

Oh, and the migraine did go away. . . I think it was that second nap at the planetarium.

Things I learned on Day 4 in Chicago:
- Man, I'm thankful for Relpax (not good I've used it 4 times, and we haven't been on the road for a week yet)
- Your kids always sound louder (especially to you) in the dark
- Taking time out to do stuff like this is so important. . . and we've sooo been lacking in this area
- Watching fireworks on a boat. .. far superior to watching fireworks in your frontyard

No comments: