Thursday, August 04, 2005

There's been progress in technology???

Well, this morning we checked out of the place closest to home and started the second week of our trip. Was hard, as I knew we had a string of hotels and a house in the next week . .. living out of suitcases for the remainder of the trip.

As we headed out of Chicago, we stopped at the Museum of Science and Technology, of the last 2 places we had Citypasses for. If you're travelling and going to do a lot of museum kind of things, you ought to check and see if they have them were you're headed to. . .you can skip a lot of the long lines and save a lot of money in ticket prices too. The only one we didn't use was the Hancock observatory (heck, think we could get Ian up a tall building?).

We got to the parking garage and should've known the day was going to be a rough one when the machine that you're supposed to pay your $8-12 for parking wouldn't take our payment! Should've known and just turned around then! ROFL . . .noooooo . . .we had to try again! Ian is our science kid and we wanted him to see all the cool things we *knew* they had inside. Plus they had this video game exhibit (can you believe they have PONG in an exhibit?) that Ian and Andy really wanted to see. So we tried again . . .thank goodness it took it that time.

We walked into the lobby area of the museum and there must've been 1000 people waiting in line. I really don't think I'm exaggerating here! I looked at Andy and said "Thank goodness for the Citypasses! Let's find that line." and pulled on some kid's (my child, at least) hand. We found it, but I'm not sure the line was much shorter. I never did figure out where the front of it was or how long it really was. After waiting about 15 minutes and the only movement being the woman and 2 children in front of us leaving in frustration, I asked Andy to find out what was going on.

Seems that there was a technological problem at the Museum of Science and TECHNOLOGY. The ticketing system was down and they were writing all the tickets by hand . . .egads! I felt for those ticketing agents. They did decide to let the citypass holders in without having to exchange the passes for tickets . . . as long as they didn't want any additional tickets (aka, the video game exhibit tickets). Ian immediately said "I don't need to see that exhibit". ROFL . .. guess not waiting in line was worth it.

We did get to see some baby chicks just as they finished hatching at the chick hatchery. The kids loved that. The girls loved the farm exhibit, especially "driving" the tractors. Andy took Ian to an energy exhibit while they did that. They had some colored lights in the circus area that when you crossed the light beams a tone would play .. . kinda like the big keyboard thing Tom Hanks played in Big, except it was done with colored lights. They got a kick out of that. They were all paranoid about the real plane that was in there. My poor non-flying kids. And we ran into this guy that showed them all this cool stuff with magnets. . . they were all mesmerized. Unfortunately, a lot of the exhibits didn't work. .. which I'd been told was often the case there. . . such a shame. You'd think at the TECHNOLOGY museum, they'd have the technology. . . you know. . . figured out.

We left there after lunch and drove on to Indianapolis, getting there about dinnertime. Stayed right around the corner from Andy's office there. . . and the race track. In fact, I think there might've been a tunnel entrance to the race track from our hotel! ROFL . . .I'm not a car person, what do I know? Apparently there was supposed to be some NASCAR race there that weekend. . .lots of folks there. We walked to the TGI Fridays at some other hotel. . . at which time 2 things happened. . . #1, I told Andy I was SICK of eating out (I know. . .I've shocked most of my readers) and #2, we spotted the wienermobile. ::sigh:: and here was Heather without a camera. . . because we were just going to dinner.

Heading back to the Embassy Suites, having just gotten over my disappointment over no wienermobile pics, and all of the sudden I see the General Lee driving down the street! I start laughing and point to it and tell Andy to look. And following it. . . .The Sheriff of Hazzard County car. ROFL . . . and again, no camera. We start talking about the Dukes of Hazzard and now Ian thinks it must be the world's greatest TV show if Mom and Dad are both talking about it. ROFL

No comments: