Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Things Learned at IKEA

Alaina and I went shopping at IKEA after a little (very little) LSS shopping and a good mexican lunch with Jamie and her younger two kids. I'm enjoying getting to know Jamie better. She's a lot of fun.
So, after stopping by a couple stores we had to return stuff to, there was still enough time to run and take a look at stuff at IKEA. Definitely came up with a list after leaving there.

Things I learned at IKEA:

-- Don't take a large shopping cart upstairs. They'll accost you if you come in the front door with one, take it away and give you a smaller one.
-- Don't got IKEA shopping with kids. Unless you will leave them at a play area manned by people you don't know. . . it's just too darned big a store for any child to enjoy. They'll whine and beg and cajole and pretend to need to go to the restroom just to get out of there.
-- Bring a honkin' big vehicle with you with lots of open space and no car seats. Good thing I wasn't planning on buying today. I guess I would've had to strap the boxes to the top of the van. The storage unit alone has 3 big boxes.
-- Don't worry about what time of day you plan on coming. . .they have a cafe there! (HUH? I was surprised!)
-- Expect very little sales help . . . as their signs say "all the information's on the tags" and "we have less sales people to keep the prices down".
-- Expect to feel like a fish swimming against the flow if you want to go look at something that's out of "order". There's actually arrows on the floor telling you where to go . . . I didn't really wanna look at all that stuff. . . and some stuff I wanted to look at twice. I was actually afraid they might send the IKEA police after me for not following them like everyone else. tehehe

At any rate. . .this is the possibles, so far. . . .sent Andy links so he could check stuff out. The only for sure is this piece, in either white or birch:One of these two desks for the kids' computer, depending on how much space we have: And these two tables for work spaces, the first one will be in white and birch, and a longer table top, (I think . . .certainly is more expensive than this one was on the website), and the second one is for the girls to work on, with a couple of benches. . .if there's room in the room .. . they're always wanting to sb too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is so funny...i have both that bookcase (except i got the larger one), and the kids table w/the benches. great minds think alike. :)

i love their galant (?) desks..but they are a PAAAAAAIN in the choocha to put together. the directions just STINK. it took us 3 hours to assemble ours...but maybe we are just dense. LOL regardless, i really do love the desk..and it's really sturdy.

another tip: do not go to ikea to purchase without a strong male or two. those boxes are heaaaavy!